Our Practice Areas
We offer a full suite of legal services that can be tailored to your needs. When you come to us with a problem, our team can identify all potential legal strategies and offer insight built on experience that will you make an informed decision.
Our practice areas in Raleigh and North Carolina include:
- Estate Planning. Everyone needs a plan for what will happen once they are gone. Our experienced Raleigh estate planning law firm can work with you to build an effective estate plan from the ground up or review and update existing plans. We can draft many types of popular documents, including wills, trusts, advanced healthcare directives, and powers of attorney. Our estate planning lawyer can help you leverage estate planning to protect assets from probate and estate taxes. You can get answers to many of your estate planning questions through our estate planning FAQ.
- Special Needs Planning. Many people living with disabilities receive monetary benefits from the government. Qualifying for these benefits requires abiding by strict income and resource limits, meaning those with special needs will require a different approach to estate planning. Our team can help you use special needs trusts to provide financial security for loved ones without endangering their eligibility for government programs.
- Elder Law. Seniors may at some point need to live in a nursing home or require other forms of long-term care. Medicare does not generally cover these types of expenses, and assisted living facilities can be prohibitively expensive. In some cases, covering elderly care can wipe out a lifetime of savings. Effective planning can help avoid this unfortunate scenario by leveraging benefits offered by Medicaid. We can also work with families needing to obtain a guardianship for elderly loved ones that are no longer able to care for themselves.
- Business Succession Planning. You need a plan for what will happen to your business in the event that you choose to retire, become disabled, or pass away. Failure to plan ahead can send an otherwise successful and stable venture into chaos, damaging both your legacy what your loved ones stand to financially gain from your contributions. We can help you develop and enact a robust plan that protects both your interests and your company’s.
- Probate. Every person’s estate must go through some manner of probate after they pass away. The responsibility of settling someone’s estate often falls to a family member named as executor in the deceased’s will. This requires them to inventory assets, pay outstanding debts, and file updates with a local probate court. Probate can become protracted and strenuous should an estate be especially large or complex. Disputes over the authenticity of a will can also generate painful delays and court battles. Our team can work with you to move through the probate process as efficiently and painlessly as possible and work to resolve any obstacles you might encounter.
- Medicaid. Medicaid can extend significant government benefits to elderly, pregnant, and disabled individuals who need financial support. Applying and receiving benefits can be a challenge due to the extent of the bureaucracy you will face. We can help you prepare the necessary documents and work to address stalled or improperly rejected applications.